Nitrile Butadiene (also called Buna-N or NBR) is one of the most utilized elastomers in the manufacturing industry, especially the automotive and aeronautical industry, for making O-rings, gaskets, oil seals, etc. It’s a synthetic rubber made by the chemical reaction of acrylonitrile (ACN) and butadiene monomers. It is very economical and offers excellent physical and mechanical properties like high resistance to fuels and oils and high tensile strength. Under trade, some of the common name used for Nitrile elastomer includes Chemigum®, NySyn, Hycar®, Paracril®, Kyrnac®. Nitrile Rubber has a usual harness range of 50-90 Shore A and is suited well for temperatures between -65° F to 250° F.
Nitrile Rubber properties
The physical and chemical properties of Nitrile vary greatly depending on the concentration of Nitrile in the polymer. Nitrile Rubber’s resistance to oils is directly proportional to the concentration of Nitrile in the polymer and its flexibility is inversely proportional to the concentration of Nitrile in the polymer.
COR Manufacturing stock & sell high-quality Black Buna (nitrile) in durometers 50, 60, 70 and 90D. And we carry FDA complaint White Buna in 70D durometer.
The Buna profiles we carry are round, rectangular, square, and quad (x ring).
Advantages of Nitrile Rubber
- Excellent resistance to a wide variety of fluids including oils, water & non-polar solvents
- Good tensile strength
- High elongation
- Low compression set
- Excellent resistance to abrasion and tear
Disadvantages of Nitrile Rubber
- Not Suitable for exposure to di, silicate and phosphate esters
- Poor resistance to ozone, sunlight, and weather
- Poor resistance to flame
- Poor resistance to hydraulic fluids, automotive brake fluid, acetates, ketones, aromatic fluids
COR can supply custom Nitrile extrusion profiles in many sizes and shapes. Send us your requirements in a dwg., pdf or even on a napkin, with dimensions and we can try and quote according to your request.
Applications of Nitrile Elastomers
Nitrile Rubber is very versatile and is used in a wide variety of applications. These include:
- O-rings, gaskets, oil seals, hoses, v belts
- Moulded goods
- Adhesives & sealants
- Sponges & expanded foams
- Floor mats
- Synthetic leather
- Disposable non-latex gloves
- Printer’s form rollers
- Cable jacketing
- Automotive transmission belts
- Automotive, marine, aircraft Fuel Systems
- It can also be compounded for FDA Applications
Check out other materials we offer. For any questions or more information, contact COR Manufacturing.