Discovering Viton®: A Dive into Viton 75D Black & Viton 90D Black
When it comes to high-performance sealing materials, few names stand out like Viton®. This specialized brand of Fluorocarbon (FKM), proudly bearing the trademark of The Chemours Company, has become synonymous with excellence in sealing solutions. In this blog post, we'll explore Viton®'s remarkable properties, with a particular focus on Viton 75d Black and Viton 90d Black, two of its most robust variants.
Viton 75d Black
Viton 75d Black is a specific grade of Viton® that offers a balance of properties that make it highly suitable for various demanding applications. Here are some key features and applications of Viton 75d Black:
- Durometer (Hardness): The "75d" in Viton 75d Black refers to its durometer rating, indicating a hardness of 75 Shore A. This level of hardness strikes a balance between flexibility and rigidity, making it suitable for applications where a moderately firm seal is required.
- Temperature Resistance: Viton 75d Black maintains its sealing properties in a broad temperature range, typically from -20°F to 400°F (-29°C to 204°C). This makes it well-suited for applications where temperature fluctuations are common.
- Chemical Resistance: Like all Viton® materials, Viton 75d Black exhibits excellent resistance to a wide range of chemicals and fluids, including hydrocarbons, acids, and fuels.
- Aerospace: Viton 75d Black is often used in aerospace applications where it can withstand the high-temperature conditions of aircraft engines and provide dependable sealing in critical areas.
- Automotive: It's a preferred material for gaskets, O-rings, and seals in automotive systems where exposure to engine fluids, such as transmission fluids and engine oils, is common.
- Industrial: In various industrial settings, Viton 75d Black is employed for sealing applications where a balance of flexibility and firmness is required, such as in chemical processing equipment.
Viton 90d Black
Viton 90d Black, on the other hand, is a higher-durometer variant of Viton®. Its distinct properties make it suitable for applications demanding a more rigid and unyielding seal. Let's explore the key features and applications of Viton 90d Black:
- Durometer (Hardness): Viton 90d Black has a durometer rating of 90 Shore A, which means it's considerably harder and less flexible compared to Viton 75d. This hardness makes it ideal for applications where a firmer, less compressible seal is required.
- Temperature Resistance: This variant also offers excellent resistance to high temperatures, similar to other Viton materials. It can withstand temperatures ranging from -20°F to 400°F (-29°C to 204°C).
- Chemical Resistance: Viton 90d Black maintains its resistance to a wide range of chemicals, including aggressive solvents, fuels, and acids.
- Oil and Gas Industry: Viton 90d Black is often used in the oil and gas industry for sealing applications, particularly in high-pressure and high-temperature environments.
- Chemical Processing: In chemical processing equipment that handles corrosive substances, Viton 90d Black is chosen for its ability to withstand harsh chemical environments.
- Automotive Racing: In high-performance automotive racing applications, Viton 90d Black is used for gaskets and seals where extreme temperatures and pressures are encountered.
Viton® in Various Forms
Viton® is available in multiple forms to cater to a wide range of sealing applications. COR Manufacturing stocks Viton® in the following configurations:
- Round Cord
- Square Cord
- Rectangular Cord
- Quad Profile
Wide Range of Sizes
We understand that one size does not fit all. That's why we offer a broad range of Viton® sizes to accommodate various industrial needs. Our Viton® selection ranges from .063 inches up to 1-inch cross-sectional size. If you require sizes beyond this range, we can accommodate your needs through special orders, though some minimum order quantities may apply.
In conclusion, Viton® is a game-changer in the world of sealing materials. With its exceptional temperature and chemical resistance, along with its ability to maintain sealing integrity under pressure, it has become the gold standard for high-performance sealing solutions. Whether you need Viton 75d Black or Viton 90d Black, these variants of Viton® offer exceptional sealing performance, ensuring that your critical applications remain leak-free and reliable.
To explore the world of Viton® and find the right solution for your sealing needs, feel free to contact us. We are here to provide expert guidance and deliver the sealing materials that will stand up to the most challenging conditions your industry can throw at them.